Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Dodged Bullet

There were layoffs at my work this week. Seven people out of 70 at my office are now looking for work. Have you seen the paper? First the jobs section shrunk to 2 whole sheets, and then they increased the font. It's never good when they increase the font. Oh, and the newspaper is bankrupt and has been calling me twice a week to try and get me to sign up for more newspaper. With bigger font.

It's hard though, to see your friends get laid off. It's hard because you're happy that you have a job and don't know why it's you and not them. It's hard because you know they have houses, and bills, and all the things you were worried about when they told you there were going to be layoffs that they will have to take care of and it's fricking scary to think about that. How quickly your money could run out. I found myself saying, "If there's anything I can do to help...." like somebody died and you know there's nothing you can do to make it better, but you say it. So I've been calling and emailing people I know, looking for jobs for these guys. I hope it helps.

And through all of it I can't help but be a little selfish. What does this mean for my work going ahead? Am I going to have to work that much harder to keep up? Did they lay people off to simply save on a salary and have others fill in that void and work harder? It's confusing because we are BUSY. What if I feel I already work hard enough? I think I just have to let the dust settle and give it a couple of months.

It's been a slut of a week. I'm glad it's over. The weather is starting to warm and the days are getting longer. I hope spring is the new beginning it's said to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment